Press release of Dr. Swamy 6 Oct :
- It is a matter of surprise that several Ministers of the UPA government have defended Mr. P. Chidambaram against my charge of his culpability in the 2G Spectrum Scam. These Ministers have gone on TV while parroting that the matter was “sub judice”. They say that Mr. Chidambaram cannot be faulted for adopting a particular policy and that that there is no charge of receiving kick backs.
- These Ministers are either ignorant or plain liars. There are at least a dozen Supreme Court judgments which make clear that Government policy cannot be arbitrary, unreasonable, or mollified. And if it is, then it can be challenged in a Writ Petition and the Supreme Court can judicially review the choice of policy.
- Whether Mr. Chidambaram has taken kickbacks or not is a matter for investigation by the CBI. But for now it is clear that Mr. Chidambaram is prima facie guilty of criminal misconduct under Section 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption Act which offences are committed if a decision is taken against public interests which benefits undeserving persons.
- By joining Raja in fixing the Spectrum License price at 2001 level in 2008 and benefiting two real estate companies with no Telecom experience Swan and Unitech to get the license at that low price and then permitting them to sell out to Etisalat and Telenor at eight time the price they paid to Government for the license, is criminal misconduct. Hence Chidambram must be interrogated by CBI and tried in the Trial Court as a co-accused of Raja.
- I welcome India’s defense pact with Afganistan. India should send 50,000 troops to that country to help President Karzai.